Thursday, March 13, 2014

A recycling project: The homemade iSpy book.

My boys love to play ispy. It's the only game that successfully diffuses tantrums almost instantly. Like if they are having a meltdown in public, all I have to do is say "ispy a red pair of shoes" and they would stop their crying/screaming/yelling immediately and start searching for the red pair of shoes.

In fact, ispy is such a brilliant tactic to keep children occupied when we are out or even at home because it is hassle free, with no extra baggage at all, and expense free too which makes it all the more brilliant! Apart from off the head ispy fun, I do from time to time buy those ispy books you can get at the local bookstore too, and the boys love them! 

Recently, I had an idea to create an ispy book from magazines that were left untouched at home. We always get those school newsletters, pioneer magazines, neighborhood newsletters and they always just go to waste after a minute of browsing. So I had an idea, and that was to create our own ispy booklets from cutouts of these wasted materials!


It's amazing how simple pictures can end up being different interpretations of the alphabets! Of course, certain letters are not easy to find at all (like Q, R, G) but with luck, and plenty of time spent analyzing pictures, I managed to find all 26 letters of the alphabet in one sitting, and browsing through 8 magazines. This cost me close to nothing, except for the album I bought from daiso for two buck. And I am pretty sure it's going to do a good job at keeping the children entertained, especially when we are out. Best part? We can always replace the pictures when the children finds it not challenging anymore!

6 comments:

  1. oh i love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we did something similar a long time ago, but did not print anything out. also fun! and very entertaining :D http://www.gingerbreadmum.com/2011/08/abc-city.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! I remember reading that entry and I was in awe because I never really looked at my surroundings like that!! Super awesome stuff, adora!

      Delete
  2. Great work! It's i spy AN "H" by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! An "etch" is that why? Oopsie, gotta rectify that!

      Delete
  3. THIS. IS. SO. COOL!!!! I am going to try this out with my kids. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Remember to keep those magazines from now on! :)

      Delete